Re: [TowerTalk] ground radials

To: w5jmw@towerfarm.net,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground radials
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:15:45 +0000
I once had a conversation with W2FMI (of the shortened vertical
antenna fame in 1970's QST)...and I asked him that very question.  He
said "So what if it rusts?  Rusty wire is far less lossy than the
soil around it".

I used the galvanized fence wire for radials in a 40m 4-square....
120 radials per element.  I just pinned them down to into
the grass...didn't bury it.  I took the antenna down years later
and the wire was just starting to rust.  I made no attempt to
remove the wire from the grass roots and it finally just
rusted away.  Friendly to the environment I think.

Hope that helps...

73, Charlie, N0TT