Re: [TowerTalk] OT but relevant

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT but relevant
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:07:37 -0600
On 2/25/2016 12:16 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Anecdotally when I was still working in a manufacturing plant we had a supervisor who was suddenly required to have one implanted. Young guy too.

The guidelines given concerning the punch presses, shears, press brakes, etc..., was for him to stay a minimum of 15 feet away while the machine was running. It turns out the second worst offender were the CNC mills and lathes we had. He wasn't allowed within 25 feet of those.

The worst area for him was the welding shop. He wasn't allowed in it while we were running. We used Lincoln Power Wave MIG welders which used pulsed current to keep the splatter down. He wasn't allowed across the yellow line of our welding shop.

No surprise at all. First, pacemakers are a mature technology, and there are many potential RFI sources in the public environment, not the least of which are cell phones, often in very close proximity to the pacemaker.

Second, RF is coupled by ANTENNA action, and by MAGNETIC coupling. The pacemaker is, no doubt, designed to minimize both coupling mechanisms, both of which increase with frequency. If they ill reject a GHz cell phone a few inches away, they will certainly reject a kW HF rig 100 ft away.

Let the pacemaker mfr tell you, but the sources I would be concerned about are poorly designed or defective devices like microwave ovens, variable speed motor drives, or other devices that create strong fields in the UHF range.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC

--
R. Kevin Stover