Re: [TowerTalk] OT but relevant

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT but relevant
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:45:45 -0800
On Thu,2/25/2016 11:40 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
Roger, you should run the welding leads twisted together to form a twisted pair as much as possible.

This is ALWAYS good advice for preventing magnetic coupling. Magnetic coupling is proportional to the loop area formed by conductors carrying the current. Running them closely in parallel minimizes that area. Twisting improves that by 20-40 dB, depending on quality of the twist. This has been well known since the earliest days of telephony (at least 150 years). Indeed, we should be using twisted pair for power in our stations, and for loudspeaker wiring in home entertainment rather than glorified zip cord.

73, Jim K9YC