Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:43:39 -0800
On 2/29/16 3:01 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

On 2/29/2016 2:29 PM, jimlux wrote:

So, if you had a 5-10 meter tall radiator, being used on 80m or 160m,
there's not a lot to be gained by going longer than 15-20 meters for the
radials.

This often heard concept makes intuitive sense.  Kind of
like how the roots of a tree should be of a length related
to the tree height or width.

However, it simply isn't true.  Actually, the opposite
is true.  Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, wrote  an article for QST
a long time ago that famously had a photo of a 40 meter
vertical that was something like 7 feet high, with a top
hat, but worked over a huge radial field.  The thing
that was funny about the photo was that the antenna was
made of a clothes dryer with metal arms that served as
the top hat and the pole was the radiator.  The concept
was that the less you have in the air, the more you need
on the ground.  Jerry did seem to know what he was talking
about.

I'll agree you need to have a LOT more on the ground "close to the radiator", but did Jerry ever try his 7 foot "Hills Hoist" antenna on a radial field that was, say, 30 feet in diameter (1/8 lambda radials in free space, radials twice the height of the radiator), but still much shorter than quarter or 0.4 lambda.

I'm basing my statements on work with tesla coils - there's not much to be gained by making the counterpoise under the coil (a very conductive sheet: chicken wire or solid aluminum foil or similar) have a radius much greater than the height of the top load above it (e.g. a 4 foot high tesla coil works about the same with a 8 foot diameter and 12 foot diameter counterpoise, but not so well with a 6 foot diameter counterpoise).

A single short monopole might be very different than one with a capacity hat: the current profile on the radiator will look like a ramp with the straight monopole and more uniform with the capacity hat.

For the tesla coil world, you can analyze it pretty much as an electrostatic system: everything is a tiny fraction of the wavelength (operating frequencies in 100s of kHz range).

The antenna case is not quite so simple, but for very short radiators, maybe it is.

The "capture area" of a short vertical is nearly the same
as that of a 1/4 wave vertical, no matter how small it is
(at least in the absence of losses).  Thus there is no
justification for shortchanging it on radials.

I'm not sure that's been actually modeled: I've got a copy of Nec4, so maybe it's time to try it.