[TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:25:39 -0800
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:13:17 -0600
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

As someone who has installed thousands of "pop" rivets both with manual
and pneumatic guns I can attest to the efficacy of putting all or most
rivets in their holes before popping them or distortion may interfere
with putting them in later necessitating a little reaming to fit them in
and that little reaming is a bad thing. Another approach that is useful
when able and applicable is to not drill all the rivet holes before
installing any rivets.  Install enough rivets to hold the parts in
proper relationship and then drill the rest of the holes and put in the
rest of the rivets.Do not oversize the drill bit.  For 1/8 inch rivets
9/64 is the largest "good" sized hole.

Patrick         NJ5G

##  I have had zero issues  with using a 1/8 drill bit when using 1/8 rivets.
Patricks advice to stuff  all the rivets in  1st, and firmly seated is good,
esp
on the f12 ants..... THEN proceed to use the pop rivet tool. If any of the
remaining rivets start to work their way out, put em back in, b4 using the pop
rivet tool of choice.

##  baffles me how folks are ending up with f12 yagis  with loose rivets.  I
highly suspect
they are not seated flush in the 1st place.... or penetrox, noalox  etc, has
been slopped
onto the rivets...either on purpose, or by accident if too much penetrox has
been used
on the mating al tube surfaces.   u don’t  want any penetrox on the rivets.
Once the pentrox
dries out, washes out, etc, the rivet could loosen up.

##  I checked, and if two rows of rivets are to be used, they should be
180 degs from each other.   90 deg spacing will also work, but is slightly
less effective.   If bolts are used,  90 deg apart, the pair of bolts should be
close together.
What grant said abt 2 bolts, offset by 90 deg is true,  but that does not
pertain to 2 x
rows of rivets , also 90 degs apart.    The rivets are not hollow, they are
solid, with the
mandrel embedded.   The hollow ones with the ridge on the bottom of the rivet,
is the junk
you see in hardware stores.  Most industrial supply places  stock the correct
type.

Jim   VE7RF