Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:46:56 -0600
I believe the cabs and beds are all 5000 or 6000 series Al. 5000 in low stress areas like the cowl, cab floor and inner door panels, 6000 series is used in high stress areas like the cab, sills, and A-Pillars. The Aluminum is glued, riveted and screwed in place. Very few spot welds. Spot welding aluminum requires higher electric currents and some means of removing the oxidized coating that covers the surface. Thus the reason aircraft are riveted.
The proof of concept was 40 Mercury Sables from 1995 and the 2003 Jag XJ.
If I remember correctly they saved about 250-300lbs of weight on the F-150.