Re: [TowerTalk] Unknown Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unknown Antenna
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <K2STN@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:49:46 -0400
Tim, what you're looking at is a DC grounded ground-plane antenna.
Tunable from 25 MHz to the top end of Two Meters.

I've seen these in 2-way radio systems for some of the school bus yards I
service.  Most of them cut for just below the six-meter band.

Built like the proverbial brick-5817-house. (gotta be nice here...)  Only
thing I'd be watchful for is where the trombone connects to the ground plate
where the radials are attached, would consider the used of some sort of
corrosion protection as I've seen a very old one of these come apart there.

They will appear to be cut short for the frequency, cant just figure it as a
simple quarter-wave but, I don't remember by what percentage.  If you have
the installation book, you're good to go, otherwise you'll need an antenna
analyzer and some patience.... and a suitable cutter.

Have fun,

Stan