Re: [TowerTalk] Manual antenna switch...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Manual antenna switch...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:42:26 -0400
I've not read the entire thread, but as you state, you have no need for a remote antenna switch as your station is so close to the tower

For coax switches, local, or remote, we all have our favorites.
For local I have been using a 3 position Alpha Delta (coax 1/ gnd./ coax 2) for station and Aim. Prior to the Aim, it was just an A/B switch. It's seen a lot of use over the years and been involved with a number of lightening strikes, but in theory, the grounding system plus Polyphasers, it has taken no damage. The only maintenance has been the occasional need to tighten the set screw in the handle. The 4 position version might do well for you and you can cascade them if you add more antennas. IE: use 1, 2 position Switch to select one of two 4 position switches

I also have a 6-pack for SO2R with one station in the house and one in my shop. I use a couple Ameritron remote switches, but of the cable controlled type. Due to the frequency of lightning strikes I was leery of any remote electronics. I had to rebuild one, but the problem was my fault. I didn't cap the unused coax connectors and they corroded badly, so I replaced them and cleaned the exterior. All have been changed to grounding type (connectors not selected are grounded) which is a simple job of bridging a couple of foils at each relay. I've had no problems with the relays in over 20 some years. I am likely to change to the wireless type in the future.

Unfortunately nature hit me with a medical problem which prevents climbing and makes repair work difficult right when I had the antennas down and the SO2R being modified.

Good luck on what ever route you go, but there is a lot to be said for the KISS principle of keeping it simple. Much less to repair and less initial cost.

73

Roger (K8RI)