Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:29:34 -0700
It seems that most of you guys prefer the M2 Orion 2800. I hadn't
considered that one, but have done some research on the Internet and find
that it has two issues: water ingress into the top bearing, and mast
slippage. There seem to be work-arounds for both of these issues, however,
but it's still someone curious that M2 hasn't corrected the issues
themselves. The Green Heron controller was also mentioned a lot, and I've
got that covered as I use a Green Heron with the Alfaspid RAK currently up
on my tower.

I've read about similar water ingress issues with the Prosistel rotator, so
it seems that this issue is somewhat universal.

The one thing that still concerns me about the Orion, however, is that it's
only rated to 35 sqft. The OB17-4 is 27 sqft, so there's not a lot of
margin there.

Thanks,
Jerry