Re: [TowerTalk] Right Angle Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Right Angle Connectors
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 06:08:53 -0700
On 5/8/16 2:52 AM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
Roger,

Now thats interesting, I see what you are seeing Roger.  it shows on the
drawing that the
insulator is LCP and in the revision notes, the last revision states
that the LCP insulation material
was incorrectly called PTFE and was changed to LCP.   I found this
definition online:

*LCP* (liquid crystal polymer) - very stable, inert, and unreactive
dielectric material used in electrical connectors.

The Amphenol connector specifications state that the insulation is PTFE
Any chemists on board ?  Perhaps LCP is a general name for thermoplastic
and PTFE is one type of LCP.

Examples of LCP are aramids like Vectran and Kevlar. It's a thermoplastic (it melts, unlike thermosetting plastics like phenolic) and apparently is used for injection molding intricate parts.

It shows up in tiny surface mount RF connectors (like the ones inside your cellphone)

some kinds are apparently better than polyimide for microwave PCBs
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4339140&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D4339140