Re: [TowerTalk] Tower maintenance person wanted - MN

To: Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower maintenance person wanted - MN
From: Alan Swinger <awswinger@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 17:38:55 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Gear Box Oil chg on UST TX-472:

Assuming this is what you are asking about.
- Gearbox has Allen Wrench compatible plugs when twr is Vert or Horizontal that
will drain the gearbox oil. Easiest draining is w/ the tower horizontal since
the drain plug is easily accessible. However, I have a shortened Allen wrench
that I use to drain the box w/ twr vrt. You have to be creative to catch the
oil. However, I re-fill w/ twr vert. Pull the side Allen wrench plug and fill
from the top until the oil level starts to run out the side hole.
I put the plugs back in w/ plumbers tape to ensure a good seal.
- Gear Box Oil: I use Mobil Synthetic Gear & Bearing Oil - SHC634, ISO VG 460
.. . .avail at any auto store; I change the oil annually.

73,
Alan K9MBQ