Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 07:35:17 -0400
Thanks Grant,

I worked with Greg, '8WWV, for quite a bit of the modeling - he would run my models using NEC4 ... and although he'd get a slight shift in frequency his results were similar to mine that clamps seem to take things further away from 'reality' ... or at least at that time the only reality I knew. The assumption I made, I believe somewhat legitimate, was if I used antennas that had been around for a long time AND had patterns shown I could compare to the model. I used the M2 20M4DX. It seemed to do better without the clamps in the model. Better being as to their published results. Now that stated that was before a single electron had gone through coax to a real antenna here ... the results on 15 might suggest that indeed that antenna isn't optimized where most would want it to be.

I find the peak of the FB to be the best variable to range test to since it is easily measured. It is used as a sanity check - a strong indicator. And although I too have seen myriad different patterns using AutoEZ/NEC2 I've seen mostly correlation between FB/SWR and then gain. Gain is after all the 'easiest' variable to meet - one almost has to work to reduce it! That is for a wide(r) spaced antenna... so I feel confident of the range test results.

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Grant Saviers