Re: [TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises

To: Jeff DePolo <jd0@broadsci.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 17:37:52 -0700
A little sloppy, I should have said "transforms to some other SWR on an SWR bridge".

We agree there are a couple of much better measurement means. Your "lacking that" example still requires a measuring device that can do TDR and complex impedance measurements which a classic "SWR Bridge" can't do.

It still seems a bit bizarre to me to be tuning individual elements of a beam near the ground with an SWR bridge. Also, several classic "great/proven" beam designs have been redesigned with good modeling for much better performance out of the same pile of aluminum. And some well known brands showed zero gain in the K7LXC et al yagi tests raising big questions about "manufacturer's data.". It's gonna be hard to convince me that there is a better way than good modeling to design a beam.

Grant KZ1W