Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling question - for the experts!

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling question - for the experts!
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 13:32:52 -0400
Sorry Jim - you've misunderstood where I am going .... I'm using SWR as a 'worst offender" indicator. I am not at all worried about SWR, or at least not in it as a single indicator - but in all the modeling I've done the most sensitive factor is FB followed by SWR and finally gain. Gain one almost has to work to reduce - and SWR is often a good bit behind FB. For example when modeling the effects of guy wires I can see changes in the FB of say 5 - 8 db before there's any real noticeable impact on SWR ...

So my point is: If the SWR is that low - I'm sure there will be interaction with the FB and potentially with the gain. So I'm most definitely in agreement how to continue that analysis and I've done just as you indicate.

But here we have the real world actual situation where someone measures a 40 meter antenna and finds it to have an SWR on 15 of 1.2:1 - THAT antenna WILL interact I'm sure (although I have no proof of it either through modeling that can replicate it or through real world as I'm not aware of a single instance where someone has checked it using a thorough range test setup!)

Gary

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown