Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:27:58 -0400
Overly simplistic with the reasons for ham gear as well as many products off shore include all the things someone said were unrelated. Unions, politics, skilled and unskilled labor, work ethics, unrealistic expectations and attitudes taught all the way through the school system. Add to that the global market system.

The company I worked for had numerous plants around the US. There are many states that welcome new industries with minimal regulations and taxes. Unfortunately the Feds regulations can make starting a new business anywhere, more than a little difficult.

We had plants on nearly every continent to take advantage of those "local markets"

"Ham Radio" is no where near a large enough market to support that kind of business model.

"Off Shore" does not mean junk, but as long as most hams are cheap, someone, here or there will build and sell "cheap stuff". Let's face it. If WE didn't purchase enough cheap stuff to support the making of cheap stuff, then they'd stop making cheap stuff.

You don't need to be very old to remember when Japan was synonymous with cheap stuff. Those producing cheap stuff soon learn there is a lot more money in building "good stuff"

"Cheap labor" has a way of becoming expensive labor.
Japan was replaced by Korea and Mexico. Now why would Japanese companies start building cars in the US? It doesn't take long for an open mind to find those answers.

Korean cheap labor is being replaced by Chinese and Indian labor.

A thought:
I read that in another generation or two, India will have more people with 4 year college degrees than the total US population. Can China be far behind? They have highly qualified people who WANT to work, while we have many college grads who want to tell their employers what they will do. I've seen a drastic change in new hire attitudes in my 50 plus years in industry

Whoever remarked about the falling # of Hams needs to read http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-showing-steady-growth-in-the-us True, fewer build their own HF and VHF rigs, but LF and SHF are now the domain of the home builders. OTOH many of the new hams with store bought equipment understand the programming and protocols for some very sophisticated communications that leave old time CW and SSB hams scratching their heads?

All of these things/topics affect Ham Radio, one way or another.!

73

Roger (K8RI)