[TowerTalk] Birds and the Leaning Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Birds and the Leaning Tower
From: Dave Leisman <w8qwdave@casair.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:31:34 -0400

Got a very different question for the group.  I have a couple of very large
antennas, one a 3 element 40 meter yagi and the other a 3
element full size 30 meter yagi.  My problem is the birds which hang around
these antennas.  I realize the antennas are a great place
for birds to land and scope out prey below, but the other day a rather large
bird tried to land on the end of one of the elements of
my 40 meter beam and bent it down almost to a 90 degree angle. Now I can either
take the antenna down (no small job), fix it and re-
raise it, or I can hire a manlift (no small expense) and do it mid-air myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might keep the birds away from my
antennas so I can avoid this kind of hassle in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Dave, W8QW