Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and the Leaning Tower

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and the Leaning Tower
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:15:32 +0000 (UTC)
Same here.   I normally see the turkey buzzards after a morning rain or when
there is dew, when they will sit at the top of the mast and at the ends of the
boom with their wing unfurled, probably trying to dry them off.   One time I
think I had 8 of them up there.   I wonder if it's good luck?
Since the feedline to the 2 element 40 is under the boom, there are no issues
with claws damaging it.   When I installed the C31XR at 80 feet, and the
feedlines wrap around to the top side of the boom (because of the ring
rotator), I placed a piece of Dacron rope between the boom truss and the boom
(vertically) to keep larger birds from trying to land there and damaging the
coax.
I've never had a problem with a large bird trying to land on any of the
elements.  Maybe they have tried in the past and have felt that it was
unstable.
They also do not like to be "rotated."   After once or twice they typically go
somewhere else.
Tom, N2SR