Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 09:35:17 -0700
Nothing "however" about it, Roger. Of course it's all skin effect, and copper-coated or clad onto steel has much greater loss than solid or stranded copper at these frequencies.

BUT - there's a big difference between copper-clad Aluminum and copper-clad steel. RF resistance of copper-clad Al is NOT significantly different from solid/stranded copper at any frequencies where we are likely to use it.

Yes, at HF the most reliable comparative of cable loss below UHF is the total resistance of their conductors at the frequency of interest. For solid copper conductors, DC resistance can be compared, because resistance at RF is a multiple of the DC resistance. For copper-clad Al, the resistance of a solid copper conductor representative of the DC resistance of the center. So -- there's nothing wrong with using LMR400 and other cables with Cu-clad Al center on the lower HF bands, except that they are NO BETTER than a lower cost coax that provides the same RF resistance. That's why my table in k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf lists coax cables in order of their DC resistance, and why the last column in the table is cost.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC