Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking question
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:43:01 +0000
The problem is there are 2 (major) different goals in stacking... max gain,
which you can really only estimate in free space or above a perfect flat
earth, or for very high vhf arrays... or covering all the takeoff angles
over the earth that you have to work with.  If you are quoting a distance
between antennas that can only be something theoretical for some kind of max
gain figure.  Otherwise you need to study the real terrain and the resulting
takeoff angles to fill in the gaps so that you can cover all the expected
angles.  Two antennas might be able to cover all the angles, but in my
situation I went with 4 because it really filled in the high angle stuff
where the top antennas had major nulls at otherwise useful angles.  For
studying the takeoff angles you must take each antenna separately, don't
count on additional gain from adding two antennas together, assume each one
is separate and fill in the gaps in the vertical pattern of one with another
one farther down the tower.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373