Re: [TowerTalk] Weight on ends of a OCF diploe

To: Jeff Draughn <n0ost99@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight on ends of a OCF diploe
From: Edward McCann via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 22:20:09 -0700
>From Ed McCann AG6CX

I've used the first rope over the branch as halyard for years. But into that
first line I tie a plastic covered steel bicycle locking cable (Home Depot --
-$10)

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjeurS8jLvOAhVRk34KHY81CbAYABAO&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJORovDu1in9IvldshDLunFbGTd1nm7MaHfd3Vr234cm8NXyQlA&sig=AOD64_0ow8vIuUS_MsHTFouTCy1WWSnPOQ&ctype=46&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjKvLG8jLvOAhUK9GMKHW86AIIQzzkIJQ&adurl=

that rides on the tree limb or in the limb crotch. To each steel eye I attach a
stainless link of appropriate size, attach a 3/16" dacron line making a
continuous loop. Marine block attached to highest end of bike cable, thru this
block goes the antenna rope, outboard end in insulator with bowline, wire from
other side of insulator outbound to the other tree. Tree one holds halyard with
wear-free plastic covered steel cable, and both ends of what becomes the
antenna wire lead.

Secure both halyard ends at tree bottom with cleat into tree, rope end of
antenna wire thru marine block holding several window sash weights (approx
weight 9# each.) easily  hooked on stainless clevis to the weight you desire.

Repeat at other tree.

Two bike cables at $10, weights at zero to $5 (or use sand or water -- pints a
pound the world around in a five gallon plastic jug.)
Tree happy, XYL happy, no wear on halyard (protected by plastic - coated steel
cable) and a few bucks for links (stainless recommended).

Been up for fifteen years. Easy to change to experiment with OCF stuff, cage
dipoles, etc.

73,

Ed McCann
AG6CX

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 8:34 PM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
> I feel compelled to offer an alternative view.
>
> Jim Brown correctly pointed out that the question of pulleys and a
> counterweight depends on how tall your trees are, how high your antennas are
> in those trees, and how much the trees wiggle.
>
> In my case I have Pines that are over 100' tall.  I put my OCF antennas at
> the 60-70-ft level.  The wiggling is minimal at that height, although the
> trees do move.  I leave a little slack in the antenna and I do not (and have
> never) used counter weights.  I use 3/16" or 3/8" black Dacron line over the
> tree limbs.
>
> My method of attachment is that I get a line over an appropriate limb on the
> center tree and I use it to haul up a pulley that has a black line in it.  I
> hoist the antenna center with that line.  (There are two lines in the center
> ....one to hold the pulley up and one to haul the antenna center up).  I do
> not use pulleys on the ends.  I just shoot a line over a limb and pull a
> black line up through and over to the end insulator (on each end).
>
> I know all the stories about abrasion and all the other stuff but not one
> antenna has ever broken in the 15+ years that I have been at this QTH (and
> we have had some hurricanes come through) except once when a big limb broke
> off of a tree and crashed through the antenna wire.
>
> I am sure counterweights are appropriate for some situations but I don't
> think you should just assume you need them.

> Wes Attaway (N5WA)
> (318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
> Computer/Cellphone Forensics
> AttawayForensics.com