Re: [TowerTalk] Weight on ends of a OCF diploe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight on ends of a OCF diploe
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 01:02:35 -0400
I've noted no deterioration in the Dacron braided rope. after 8 or 9 years http://www.davisrf.com/dacron.php I use the 3/16ths inch as well as the 5/16ths. The 3/16ths I use is a black, single braid, while the 5/16ths is a double braid. They are relatively inexpensive and have little stretch, but as I said in another post, they handle the high tension of roughly 200# with ease as the 3/16 ths has a 770# plus strength. 5/16ths is over 1700# strength, but a bit more expensive.

I've had several 500 and one 1000' rolls for some years, so I have no hesitation at using the stuff.

So far, I've had no problems with RG8X LL at the legal limit except on 160 and 75. Davis BuryFlex(TM) has done well so far, but I prefer the lower cross section and lighter weight when it's suspended from the unsupported center of an antenna.

As for a dynamic weight tensioning I prefer as much weight (or tension) that I can use safely. With enough weight the antenna and weight will not get into an oscillation. There should be enough weight that the antenna can not lift the weight in such a manner as to release the tension.
If enough weight is too much for the antenna, I'd go to a larger wire size.

Unfortunately, all the CopperWeld antenna wire I've had, lost its copper coating and turned to rust in just a few years, so I've had to resort to stranded, hard drawn Copper antenna wire of #10, or 12 size. The deterioration is probably the same thing that ruins Nylok nuts. The Nylon just seems to dissolve.

73

Roger (K8RI)