[TowerTalk] Coax Sources

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 05:42:30 -0700
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:32:19 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources

On Wed,8/31/2016 8:12 PM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
> I have been ordering 400 equiv from Shireen.
> Half the cost, or less.

Coax performance and durability is largely a matter of manufacturing
quality.

"LMR400 equivalent" is NOT a performance spec, it is an advertising
claim. And as K8RI has noted, LMR400 itself has some problems. Those who
buy ONLY on price and performance "claims" often get what they pay for
-- less.

Those wanting to learn more about coax might find
k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf helpful. Nobel Laureate K1JT heard my talk on
this at Pacificon several years ago and complimented me on it.

73, Jim K9YC

##  Everybody and their dog was making LMR400 equivalent years ago, even
cushcraft.  CC ultralink.
A lot of it was used here in town with great success, still in use.  10 ga
center conductor, and one half
the loss of 213..and a lot lower price tag. Quality on all of it is superb.
The LMR-400 that K8RI is talking
about is their ULTRAFLEX  version..called LMR-400UF.    400UF..and also  600UF,
both have
what appears to be a  pure rubber outer sheath.   Very very soft material, and
also
prone to abrasion, nicks, cuts, scraping, tears, and not good with UV..and also
freezing ice. Easily cut
into with any razor knife..like butter.

##  I have a 100 ft roll of  Tcom  ultra flex 600, made by times microwave.
Same  deal,  super soft rubber
outer jacket.  You have to be real careful with its intended  application.
However, the tcom 600UF  is far more flexible
than 213 ever will be.  The tcom 600uf is like spaggetti.   Instead of the
usual 7 strands in the center, it consists of
27 strands of silver plated cu. Silver plated foil, and silver plated braid.
Far more flexible than 600UF.

##  I would not hesitate to recommend or use LMR-400 equivalent coax.  I have
examined both the times version,
and a few other equivalent versions,  counting strands, strand gauge, center
conductor gauge,  sheath thickness,
foam thickness, and  could not tell the difference between em...including loss.
  Andrew is not the only one
who makes heliax.  Several other makers of   heliax equivalent make as good,
and in several cases, a lot better version.

Jim  VE7RF

make up, nu,mber