Re: [TowerTalk] questions on the use of a man-bucket and guy tensioning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] questions on the use of a man-bucket and guy tensioning
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:37:45 -0400
I does not take much turnbuckle movement to add tension. My guys are 6700
and 11200 pound Phillystran and I can pull the cable by hand enough to
start the turnbuckle threads.

John KK9A

To:     <TexasRF@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] questions on the use of a man-bucket and
guy     tensioning 5/16"...
From:   "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date:   Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:54:35 -0400

Hi Gerald,

Actually I?m use to using grips and have done many towers...  I?ve done it
all
before ? I?ve just not used 5/16? and don?t know if in situ I?ll be able to
estimate it accurately. I have 3 older grips that will function as the
?connection point? for pulling each guy. What I don?t have is three come
alongs. I have instead, what I used on the 1/4? guys, are three ... I?m not
sure what you?d call them... they?re rope and there is a block with a
rotating
cog in it that locks on the rope when you pull it through adding tension
in the
process... I don?t know if they?re able to handle any more than about 150# of
pull ? so there is my question ... if I get to that amount of pull will the
turnbuckles have enough room to pull them from there to full 1100#? I?ve
Google
searched to see if there is a chart of initial tension and how fast say per
inch of displacement of the turnbuckle the force goes up ... its obviously a
non-linear curve.

and I?m having trouble getting people to just lift and stage the antennas let
alone with any experience at the guys so its looking more like I?ll be
running
from one to the other (140? out from the base and not a direct shot from
one to
the other). I?ll get my work out.

thanks Gerald.

Gary