Re: [TowerTalk] questions on the use of a man-bucket and guy tensioning

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>, "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] questions on the use of a man-bucket and guy tensioning 5/16" EHS
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:28:32 -0400
Hi Grant,

I think the guys will be in the way of the bucket... I had been focusing on safety and how do you 'hold' the antenna and hadn't thought about proximity to the guys ... I think I'll forego the bucket and just do it the old fashioned way. I've done that before and it wasn't a problem.

As for direction - the last time I used a crane I had 10' separation minimum between antennas and there wasn't any issue with getting the crane in there ... This time its worse case 11' for one pair and much more than that from there on down. There will be the 20 at 135' already mounted to the tower so the first antenna below that is the 40 at 124' so that's 11' separation with a good deal of room out to the closest elements on either antenna ... then we're at 90, 75, and 45 - LOTS of separation. So for me it seemed only logical to go from the top down. Also there is the thinking that if time ran out it would be easier to tram the lowest antenna as a last resort. All the elements are clear of the tower of course since they have to mount to it. The closest one is probably 3' away so I don't believe that will be a problem.

Guy tension - the rated tension on 5/16" guy cable is 1100# - that's what I'm going by. 600# is - I believe - really low on 21K guys - that means I'd think that it can sway more.

The crane is a 70 ton and able to go to 200' I'm told. The 6 sections of tower with one ring and the guys will weigh about 800 - 850# so I'd sure hope that isn't a problem! I'd hate to have to move that closer as its already set up.

Also note on 'being ambitious' ... 2 of the antennas will be already installed so with them its really the time it takes to mount that tower section (one 10' with a 4' top piece) ... beyond that its 4 antennas... to me that seems easy enough to do. I'd sure hope it can be done in 6 - 7 hours. If you figure an hour for each task: 60', guy tensioning, top piece, 4 additional antennas that is 7 hours. But I think the antennas are more like 45 minutes a piece ... I should have 8 hours of solid sunlight after he is set up (they said 30 minutes tops to set up which seems a bit short to me).

g.

-----Original Message----- From: Grant Saviers