[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg
From: Dave Leisman <w8qwdave@casair.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:05:03 -0400
I need some advice.  I have a 70' Rohn 45 and had a guy with a tractor back
into and damage one of the legs.  As well, the leg was
hit hard enough to bend the diagonal cross support.  I could probably, with
assistance of a come along, bend the leg back into place
and bend the diagonal support back into place as well, but that would not
resolve the huge indentation which resulted from the
contact with the tractor., e.g., the leg's strength would still be compromised.
 There is no antenna on top of the tower; I was just
getting ready to place my TH-11.  The tower is guyed at 30' and 50' at the
current time.

My thought is to rent a mobile crane with a boom long enough and significant
enough to lift the 6 sections above the damaged section,
in total (still bolted together) from the damaged section; then cut the damage
away from the damaged section, and then lower the 6
sections down to the now repaired section, drill all the holes and bolt
everything back together.  Is this possible?  I am concerned
about climbing the tower, because of the damage done to the leg - because
somehow I need to strap the 6 undamaged sections to the
boom of the crane.

Another question is whether the stainless steel bolts holding the 6 sections
together are sufficiently strong enough to hold the 6
sections together while I work on the damaged section.

I really don't want to start over because that means another hole to dig,
expense of more concrete, placement of additional guy wire
anchors (and more concrete), and waiting until late spring.

Any advice would be appreciated.