Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg

To: w8qwdave@casair.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 15:50:43 -0700
An 80' self supporting tower I helped tilt up got bent on all 3 legs when a brace was put near the hinge point. So we did what was mentioned. Built a concrete form, drilled some dowel holes in the existing base, added some rebar and about a yard of concrete. It stood for many years. Not pretty, but the JA's won't see it. I think this by far is the easiest, cheapest, and best short of replacing the whole section (which from your description is the section buried in the concrete??) A guyed tower has very low loads on the base compared to self supporting, so you are just strengthening the bad section.

I wouldn't try the reinforcing the problem leg with a steel bar and u-bolts. I don't think there will be enough slip resistance to re-establish the original leg strength. (or you will flatten the leg, just as bad)

RE welding: R25 is hot dipped galvanized inside and out so obtaining a structural quality weld is very difficult. Usually, parts go back to the galvanizer for stripping off all the old galvanizing before welding, then are regalvanized. The legs are 50ksi yield steel, nothing special re the alloy and heat treating.

You should be using Rohn bolts. You might have ok strength stainless depending what you bought and where you bought them. Drilling new leg holes at the correct angle, round and at the right diameter is not easy. I've done it in a milling machine for making hinge pins and even then it was hard. Now I make base hinge plates with the pins welded to them after they are bolted into the tower. Much easier. Another fix is to make a bidirectional "adapter plate", i.e stubs in both directions on a 3/16 or 1/4" steel plate. I've done that for joining brand x salvaged aluminum sections to Rohn 25 for short field day towers. A lathe is needed to turn the stubs to the leg inside diameter.

Re a crane lift: six sections are 6 x 41.1 lbs so way below what the bolt loads are in normal use, or with two folks on the tower.

Grant KZ1W