[TowerTalk] FW: Cad Welding tips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Cad Welding tips
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 23:50:42 -0500
Hi Bob,

I have been buying my Erico CAD supplies online from Gordon's Electric Supply
because they seem to carry the full line of product, are reasonably priced, and
have excellent customer service.

A few tips...

- suggest to do the math to determine if it will be more economical to go with
one-shots or buy a mold.  I seem to recall that the difference is about $6 per
weld.

- be sure to consider all the different types of connections you will need to
make as you may need more than one mold shape.   I have also used a lot of
silver solder too - especially for bonding ground wire to copper strap or
bonding copper strap together.   An acetylene torch is needed to work with the
silver solder.

- If you are working with #6 wire, I believe Erico sells a smaller mold which
comes with handles that is about 60% of the cost of the regular size mold.

- the regular molds don't come with handles - they have to be purchased
separately.   If you want to save some $$ look for a used pair of handles on
ebay.

- Be aware that CAD molds do wear out and can also be damaged.  So beware if
you buy used molds.   With TLC, they can last a very long time.  I have some
that have produced well over 100 welds (I seem to recall that Erico says
nominal life is 50??) and still don't leak at all.

- The common mode of mold wear is that they can develop too much clearance
around the wire and/or rod openings.   At some point, too much of the molten
weld metal will leak out and leaving less than a full weld.   When the mold
gets to this point, there are two options - use the CAD paste that you pack
around the openings for each load or retire the molds.

- The molds have to be cleaned after every shot to remove the residual slag,
soot, and splatter.  A medium soft bristle brush is great for cleaning molds.

- I have only used the flint ignitor gun and  can attest that they are reliable
and last a long time - although they too need to be cleaned frequently or they
will load up with splatter.  I doubt that a conventional striker would get the
job done.

Hope this info is of use to you & good luck on your project!

73
Matt
KM5VI