Re: [TowerTalk] 10,15,20 m verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10,15,20 m verticals
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 22:39:34 -0400
Hy-Gain pretty much took half the driven element of a 3L tribander in the 60s to sell as a trap vertical. I never tried doing that, nor do I know of anyone who did, but quarter wave spacing on 20 would give close to half wave spacing on 10. Fed in phase I'd think it'd work broad side on 15. I don't know what would be needed for phasing for end fire or a figure 8 in line with the antennas on 15.
Use lots of radials with ground mounted antennas well out in the clear.

My only experience with ground mounted verticals was a pair of quarter wave verticals, spaced IIRC 1/2 wave for figure 8s end fire and broad side, but that was in the late 60s into the 70s so my memory is a bit foggy that far back. (about 45 years back)

I currently have a single AV640 mounted at 25 feet. It worked really well, but something has it messed up as well as taking out the Diamond 144/440 vertical matching network. I hope to get the C19XR on the LM470 so I can use it this winter.

73,

Roger (K8RI)