Re: [TowerTalk] Datasheet for Rohn TA-55

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Datasheet for Rohn TA-55
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 11:10:24 -0500
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 5:57 PM, <john@kk9a.com> wrote:

> . I remember when K4JA's rotating AB105 tower started twisting
> back and forth in heavy wind before breaking apart. I would assume that a
> star guyed tower is less susceptible to destructive harmonic oscillation.

Believe this was during hurricane Isabel in 2003. The prevailing yak
afterwards was that if he had cut the lines at the bottom and unpinned the
rotator, let the tower and yagis "windvane", that he would have weathered
Isabel with only minor damages. Maximum sustained winds were only 52 mph
with gusts to 66.

73, Guy K2AV