Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials for phased arrays

To: Alan Swinger <awswinger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials for phased arrays
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:43:36 -0500
I have used elevated radials (four) fr a 40M vertical. It seemed to perform adequately vs a 40M EDZ that I also used, especially on long haul DX. It's my understanding that the key to effective elevated radials is height above ground to achieve decoupling from the ground. IIRC, that height on 160M is about 18 feet. How high are your radials. Just curious.

73, Joe
K2XX

Alan Swinger <mailto:awswinger@earthlink.net>
Friday, January 13, 2017 5:09 PM
I have a 4 square on 40M w/ 36 32ft radials under each on the ground with staples. They overlap and it works great! Now my 160M Coax Inv-L has 7 100 Ft elevated radial and it is an excellent performer. If you can do elevated radials, there are many benefits in effort and wire! Lawn mowing can be a problem.
Best - Alan K9MBQ