Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12
From: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:04:48 -0600
It's just physics isn't it?

A three element antenna will be better than a two element antenna assuming both have optimized element spacing and length for a given optimal boom length.

The C3 family of antenna's are interlaced 2 element monobanders. I would expect something like a DX Engineering Skyhawk, 3 element interlaced monobander, to out perform any C3...by a long shot. It's a bigger antenna, twice the boom length and four more elements to play with.

If there's a study that says different then either the study is wrong or the ARRL Antenna Book is wrong. My money is on the book.

If your going to compare antennas you need to compare apples to apples etc.... I seem to remember when Force 12 was the hot antenna to get not many other people were even making 2 element antennas.

How would a C3 hold up to a SteppIR 2 element or an Optibeam 2 element? Probably pretty close depending on boom length.