Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 07:40:42 -0600
I've been trying to divine a defence for this box, but can't.

If I read K9YC's choke cookbook correctly, there's no way this could achieve
the level of broadband choking claimed. Moreover, not only is there no need to
enclose such a device in so expensive an enclosure, it would compromise power
handling. And if you did, how do you mount it at the only place it does any
good?

When it appears the best-performing choke in Jim's cookbook is nothing more
than a frequency-specific number of turns of coax through, at most, $50 in
ferrite cores, with no bulky enclosure, I just can't see why anyone would pay
$900 for this.

Also, if the photo is akin to an "exemplar" piece of furniture, and the box is
built to custom specifications, then the quoted specifications are meaningless
anyway.

BTW, isn't the attenuation noted (called return loss) the only way any choke
actually chokes?

I think Array Solutions has some 'splainin to do!

Then again, PT Barnum has never been proved wrong.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad