Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 05:35:47 -0400

Another item to add to the equation is strength and rigidity of the tower, not just the stated wind load capability. IF the mast is strong, rigid, and extends through two guy points, that section(s) of the tower become much stronger, but this can be easily carried too far.

I had a local ask me to take a look at his installation. He had mounted the rotator one rung above the concrete on a 100' 25G. The mast was 2" chrome Moly with 0.5" wall. I could not lift one end of a section.He knew the torsion bar effect so he wanted "rigid", but that left the bottom 16 inches (give or take) of the tower taking the entire torque in shear mode as the tower could no longer twist to take up any twisting motion. It also put the entire weight of that extremely heavy mast on the base. I suggested he put the rotator on an independent support which would remove the weight and torque from the tower base.

No, I'm not an engineer either, but I have had the basic courses. I would think all you need is the formulas as a EE certainly could do the math. Even with a math minor, I'd have to do a lot of reviewing. I earned my degree in 90 and the only math I've had to use since then has been Trig, Boolean Algebra, and Algebra. I haven't done a derivative or integral since I was working on my masters. Don't think I could do one now to save my life.

73, Roger (K8RI)