Re: [TowerTalk] Self Supporting Tower Install

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self Supporting Tower Install
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 21:00:22 -0700
On 5/11/17 8:33 PM, Lee K. Brown MD via TowerTalk wrote:
I recently moved my US Tower crank-up from my old QTH to my new QTH,
While the tower had been originally installed with the usual
rectangular concrete base specified by the P.E. that US Tower used to
wet stamp the plans for me, the P.E. that I engaged for the
re-install locally specified a cylinder of concrete. Apparently not
unusual at all.

there's a well developed process for drilling round holes (caissons) for
supports for things like traffic lights, etc. A machine comes out and
drills a 3-4 foot diameter hole, you drop the rebar cage in, fill with
concrete, etc.

Works nicely in places without a lot of room (e.g. a sidewalk), if you make the column deep, it can support an enormous moment (there's several traffic signals spanning 3-4 lanes near my house doing this, the cantilever loads must be huge with a fairly heavy left turn signal hanging out 4 lanes in)