Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Speed by Location

To: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Speed by Location
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 07:08:54 -0400
this brings up what to me is an interesting question .... if I'm not mistaken the standard 'wind speed' is as measured at I believe 30' (33'?) off the ground ... I have a weather station of sorts mounted, currently, 8' off the ground and it is kind of back in to a pocket of sorts surrounded at a distance of 100' - 300' by a ring of trees. The rotating tower is about 200' from it and at the edge of this ring of trees.

So .... I measured, one day ... one very windy day 39Mph. The Weather channel etc said gusts were around 50 ... but if you do the calculations on wind vs. height the top of the tower was seeing a minimum of 100 mph! Using that same calculation I believe if the station had been in the clear and at 30' it probably would have read around 60 .... so what happens when there is a legit 100 mph wind?! That means around 150 at the top of the tower. It seems, since indeed the readings are at ~30' AND since over the 'right' terrain that means a good 50%+ higher on a tall structure, that towers are actually subjected to more .... so is the Rohn and other tower manufacturers ratings based on that value at 30' knowing that the height adjusted wind will be higher? Or it is the worst case wind - i.e. at the top of the tower and wind instruments aren't telling you whether or not you're there?

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Don W7WLL