Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 19:07:28 -0400
I have almost a one acre lot. That may sound large to city dwellers, but I'd rather have about 10. When we purchased this place we were in a hurry to find a place more central to my wife's and my work. So with a relatively small space the tower went in the center of the lot, or about 10' NW from the NW corner of the attached garage. I've never noticed local noise pickup on the antennas on that tower. Most ham towers I've seen save a couple were adjacent to their houses.

I did have the tower about 300' from the house when we lived about 60 miles NW of here, but the reason was height, not noise. Actually this thread is the first I'd ever considered noise and tower placement other than from or to neighbors.

about 15 years ago I did have a noise pop up that affected 6-meters and down through 20, but it appeared to be some distance away. It was basically white noise. About a year ago a horrendous noise appeared. I think it was related to a grounding problem in the system Earth ground.

Until relatively recent times there was little in my homes that would develop noise for the antennas to pick up. Now, every new piece that uses electricity has to be checked out. When we put in a new furnace, I specified a fan without PWM speed control and the installer agreed, in writing, if it caused noise he'd replace it.

73, Roger (K8RI)