Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Windload Ratings & Tower Windload ratings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Windload Ratings & Tower Windload ratings
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 05:59:23 -0400
In many states, including Vermont, the regulations regarding non-commercial
use towers and antennas (ham towers) do not apply.  TA-222-G is clearly a
commercial standard, not a building code for all uses.

The process of applying for and receiving a permit to build a tower is part
of the residential - auxiliary structure definition.  So if such
requirements were to be applied to ham towers, the equivalent would also
have to be applied to all construction of residential houses as well - in my
opinion.  Municipalities cannot discriminate against ham towers by applying
standards out of context of the zoning use.

Such things have started, I believe, in very hurricane prone areas such as
Dade County Florida and of course ham towers would be no exception.

As was stated, don't confuse engineering with marketing.  I agree.  And
would add, don't confuse regulations and in what circumstances they are
applied with engineering.

Ed  N1UR