Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:05:54 +0000 (UTC)
One point of concern ... and overall I agree with what Bob is saying here.

If the mechanical/physical design between the two diameters is not correct,
meaning there is an excessive measurable difference between the OD of
the smaller element tubing and the ID of the larger element tubing .

.. and no effective manner to address that difference, such as slot(s) or ?
in the larger tubing, then we may be requiring the clamp to do something
that is outside it's properly designed function.

Meaning the effort required to close the excessive difference between the
two materials may exceed what the clamp design can provide.

These types of clamps are not by design to be used as "universal Vise-Grips"
to overcome what may have a been a poor or inaccurate joint configuration.

You can check for this by seeing how "loose" the smaller tubing is inside the
larger tubing BEFORE installing the clamp(s).

And ask yourself, "OK, exactly how or what is going to close this gap?"

So if it seems that you are stripping out multiple clamps, or are able to pull
or
twist the element section AFTER the clamp is tight ... then look closer as to
the overall joint construction ... it might save you replacement time later.

73 de Billy, AA4NU

PS ... my apology for busting KQ2M's name in the earlier email ... it's Bob!