Re: [TowerTalk] Mechanical weak link in leg of dipole

To: "Steve65" <steve65@suddenlink.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mechanical weak link in leg of dipole
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:59:49 -0700
I use sash weights from old windows at one end of my wire antennas. Up and down with tree sway and wind load.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Steve65
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 12:38 PM
To: TowerTalk

Hello all,

The south end of my 80-meter dipole runs among trees. The trees are
higher than the antenna wire and have limbs which are above the dipole.
Big limbs. The dipole is made of #14AWG THHN. It is supported at its
southern end with about 40ft of 3/16in rope tied off in a tree.

One of the trees that is near the antenna is a large beech. One of its
limbs broke off a few months ago and narrowly missed the antenna wire.
I'm thinking about installing a mechanical weak link in this leg of the
dipole that would break if one of the heavy limbs falls across the
antenna wire.

Good idea? Bad idea?

What material would be a good choice for the weak link?

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

---
http://www.avg.com