Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strikes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strikes
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:14:58 -0500
I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multiband vertical atop a metal barn/counterpoise. Top of antenna is about 75 ft AGL. It has been up going on 5 years. Its coax runs to a multi-position remote controlled coax switch in the barn and thence underground to a polyphaser device and into the house. When not operating I disconnect the coax from the tuner and connect it to a short braid going to an 8 ft ground rod driven in a hole in the concrete slab at my operating position. I have never sustained damage nor lost the replaceable element in the polyphaser and we get oodles of lightning in this part of Oklahoma. I have witnessed lightning strikes take limbs off of trees and have had many hits so close that the flash and bang were perceived as simultaneous. My wife experienced an entertaining moment near my shack when lightning struck very close and a ball of incandescent plasma formed in midair a few feet from her. It changed appearances a couple times and then with a loud pop it vanished.

Some of my "protection" is undoubtedly luck of the draw but I'd guess the polyphaser should get some credit.

My shack is currently in one corner of my woodworking shop which is part of the overall house structure. The 1/3 of the house which houses my wood shop, metal shop, and 3 car garage is a "red iron" bld with welded steel trusses and vertical I beam columns. It has no metal siding or metal roof. Exterior walls are brick wainscot and vinyl siding. I suspect the steel structure has been hit a few times but I have not seen evidence or experienced damage.

I have whole house MOV protection at the service panel.

I hope to make additional improvements soon. I am currently reading the new Grounding and Bonding book published by the ARRL.

Patrick        NJ5G