Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:34:45 -0700
On 6/26/17 6:09 PM, Stan K2STN wrote:
May I ask if the re-bar in those blown tower foundations was as bonded
together and to the tower?

From what I've read it was the pulse jumping from rod end to rod end
that concentrated the energy producing steam which did the damage.

properly installed rebar won't have any water containing gaps to turn into steam.

There are cases where the rebar sticks out from the side of the concrete, below grade, and gradually corrodes, leaving a small gap between rebar and concrete. Once that gap forms, freeze/thaw or temperature cycling can pump water in and out of the gap (not to mention capillary forces).

Then you have a gap, with water, that might flash to steam, although... it's still pretty much a "everything has to be just so" to make it work

A water filled crack in the concrete, if lightning *hits the concrete* might cause spalling, the same as if you build a fire on a concrete slab.

But in the design situation - lightning impulse is in a conductor that passes into the concrete, and then flows out through the concrete to the surrounding soil, I don't think the current density can get high enough. The whole point of a Ufer ground is that the concrete is in continuous and intimate contact with the electrode.

One of the *problem* that the Ufer ground (or the "grid ground" used in substations) was designed to address was the "smoking/steaming rod" where the ground has dried out a bit, and shrunk away from the rod, so the contact is not as good, and gets localized. Then the current density goes up, and the temperature at that spot goes up, etc.

The idea of bentonite is that a) it's hygroscopic so it tends to hold the moisture and b) it's expansive, so it maintains good contact over the length of the rod (or buried cable, etc.)

I suppose you could have a 50 year old not so wonderful concrete chunk that is all cracked. But is that a "proper concrete encased grounding electrode" any more than a 50 year old ground rod that is half corroded away and wiggles in the soil?

There's lots of really solid concrete that has lasted centuries (if not millenia) without cracking. There's also lots of sort of sketchy concrete that crumbles when you walk on it. The latter could easily spall with a lightning impulse.

(Are we getting to a True Scotsman argument?)

Stan