[TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 10:09:38 -0700
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 15:41:10 -0500
From: Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

<Curious as to why y'all don't use the LMR-400-DB or LMR-xxx-DB cable
<INTENDED for exterior use?

##  useless for rotor loops, since both use a solid center conductor, esp with
600-UF.

I have aprx 90-100 ft of  T-com LMR-600UF.... which has 27 strands in the
middle instead of the usual 7 strands in the normal 600-UF  version.   Far more
flexible,
like spagetti  compared to 213-U.  I was going to use it for going up the side
of the crank up
tower... but knew of the problems using it outdoors.
The jacket on the UF is like pure soft rubber.   Prone to nicks + UV +
critters.   I thought
of using split loom, but only find it locally in 10 ft lengths.  Trying to get
90-100 ft of 600-UF
inside a 100 ft continuous length of split loom would not be fun either.
Plan B was to wrap the entire 90-100 ft with scotch 33 or 88 tape.  I believe
that would
solve 99% of the issues with outdoor use.   That should be good enough for
going up the side
of a crank up, and or used for rotor loops.   But typ rotor loops are short
anyway, so plane
213-U..or buryflex would be a more practical option.

## I have a 125 ft  reel of regular  LMR-1200DB  to go from basement to base of
tower, but that
stuff is an absolute  bitch to work with.  About as rigid as an aluminum
baseball bat, and large OD too,
like 1.2 inchs.  .5 inch heliax or LMR-600DB  would be easier to work with..and
I may well go that route.
I may well install it inside grey pvc pipe, since I can get that locally at any
home dept, in every ID  from
.5 inch up to 2 inch.   Each 10 ft section is flared at one end, so they can
easily be glued together. Then just
lay it next to the house..which is all bark mulch, like  6 ft out from
house..and aprx 40 ft long.   Maybe another
20 ft to get to base of tower.

##  BTW,  Times Microwave tells me that they also make  all of the various LMR
400-500-600-900-1200
cables in a NON DB version.   Same outer jacket, just NO grease in the braid.
Price is the same.  Funny
thing is, I have never seen the non DB version listed on any site ever.

Jim   VE7RF