Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:31:08 -0400
I have been using 4" white PVC drain pipe for decades as a control cable
conduit and I have not seen any UV damage.

John KK9A

To:     towertalk@contesting.com
From:   Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>
Date:   Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:32:53 -0500

The gray PVC to which you refer is electrical conduit (most likely) and
is much more resistant to UV than white (which should NEVER be used in
full sun unless you don't mind it disintegrating in a few years).  The
gray ALSO uses large radius fittings which assists in pulling wire.
ALWAYS use a conduit size rated for the wire you intend to pull....
Generally, I use a conduit that is TWICE the size required for the
wire/bundle I am pulling to make room for a possible subsequent pull.
But I likely wouldn't do that with feed lines...  PS - ALL conduit gets
wet underground EVENTUALLY....  NOT really a hard and FAST TRUTH, BUT
YOU should ENGINEER AS IF IT WERE.  Must plan for how to dry the
conduit.  Almost any cable jacket will eat water if it sits in standing
water long enough.

Yes.... Look at the spec sheets.  There are a number of parts for each
size...  Availability is subject to vendor selection.  I use -DB inside
and outside.  The weight diff is insignificant to me, and the tools
clean up fast.  A little extra time on each termination is a fair trade
off for superior longevity.