Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question

To: "TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, "N4ZR" <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 10:33:32 -0400
Hi Pete,

It depends on many things depending on your situation:

1) What are you attempting to protect your cable from?  Lawn mowers?
Lightning?  Someone digging into them?  etc.

2) Type of cable and type of jacket  (and how hot/cold/snowy/icy does it get at
your qth?)

I use buryflex coax and CQ304 and CQ302 rotator cable.  I have had them laying
on the ground for almost 20 years with no discernable physical deterioration.
If I put them below ground I would have to deal with the acidic soil, critters,
pools of groundwater, etc.  Of course these issues would be mitigated by using
gravel, sand, conduit, etc.  I like keeping it simple.  I have fewer critter
problems and no water/soil issues with laying the cables on the ground.
Nothing likes to nest directly on top of the cables where they are exposed to
the elements.  Put them in a protected environment below soil however and then
I am sure the critters would be more interested.

But for anything aboveground, the cable jackets better be physically tough and
uv resistant or else they won’t last more than a few years at best.

3) Convenience and aesthetics...

It is a real PITA to have to move cables around every time that I mow, and even
more of a PITA when I hit one of them with a mower.  BUT, where I have dug a 4”
trench only a few inches wide and laid the cables in the uncovered trench, I
don’t have to move them anymore, I don’t have to worry about the mower blades
cutting them or hitting the sides of the narrow trench, and, if I need to move
or replace them, I just pick them up and they are moved in a few seconds.

I have had no trouble with the elements or even snow/ice or standing water
which is rapidly absorbed by the ground.

This also solves the issues of trenching and how deep is deep enough?

Decide on your answers to 1, 2 and 3 and then you may not even need to think
about your questions.  If you still want to bury your cables, then 1, 2 and 3
will determine the answer to your questions.

73 & GL!

Bob  KQ2M