Re: [TowerTalk] Fire hazard with inverted L ??

To: Jeff Draughn <n0ost99@gmail.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fire hazard with inverted L ??
From: Tom WA9WSJ via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:48:36 +0000 (UTC)
Hello Jeff,
Permit me to pass along my experience. Not to be opposite to others
knowledgeable information but to only add information in which to make a well
informed decision.
I was tuning up a hamstick, (yes I realize not the same as your antenna but
you'll get the idea), on my camper with only about 50 watts and the swr was
real good when all of a sudden the bridge needle jumped erratically high. Then
it settled good again, then it randomly jumped again. It did this a few times
and then I just happened to look up at the antenna and seen that it was
intermittently touching a branch with the end of the whip. As it made contact,
it arced and visually smoked the branch. Obviously when this happened, the
bridge reading jumped, thus showing a high swr. I moved the camper and all
tuned correctly. Apparently the wind was moving the offending branch into the
antenna, which wasn't close when I started my testing.
The point of this is that the end of the antenna is the high voltage point, as
described by many online articles. As one approaches the end, the voltage
increase and current decreases.
I was curious about this when you mentioned your antenna type and found this
article:  Ham Radio Site - { 80m Inv.-L on 12m Pole }
Might be worth check out.
73 GL,
Tom

|   |
Ham Radio Site - { 80m Inv.-L on 12m Pole }
 Neue Seite  |   |