Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 19:31:49 -0400
Since I have yet to see a commercial clamp for connecting copper strap to a
tower other than a modified hose clamp, I also thought of fabricating one
with a DX Engineering saddle or an aluminum Stauff clamp.  Glad to see that
you made one Grant. It would be easier to install, especially if heavy gauge
copper, if you could just clamp it between two flat plates instead of
wrapping it around a tower leg with a shim and hose clamp. It would be nice
of tower manufactures put grounding bolt holes on their tapered bottom
sections. I use hose clamps around the legs and never had an issue with it
blowing apart. After reading this thread, If I were to make any changes I
would swap the worm drive clamp for a heavy duty bolt style band clamp with
a .030+ thick band. I use this type of clamp for larger telescoping tubing
sections on homebrew antennnas and they work well.

John KK9A