Re: [TowerTalk] Canada geese (solved, hopefully)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Canada geese (solved, hopefully)
From: Chuck Gooden <Chuck.Gooden@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 16:12:00 -0600
Are they similar to the spikes sold by birdbgone.com?

Chuck K9LC

On 3/7/2018 10:54 AM, Mark N2QT via TowerTalk wrote:
Ok, I’m pretty sure it was Canada geese that were the culprits.  I hooked up a
trail cam
and have recorded foxes, cats, raccoons and deer ignoring the antenna and
feedline.
It’s also recorded a score of geese going by the antenna grazing on whatever it
is
they find in the mud.  While I’ve not recorded a goose chomping on the now
armored
coax and saying ouch, the stuff has survived a week without damage.

To armor the coax, I cut strips of hardware cloth about an inch wide. If you
trim the
edges, the wires can be bent so they stick up, like small barbed wire. This
gives a strip
about a half inch wide with quarter inch ‘spikes’ sticking up on each edge. I
tywrapped
these strips around the plastic half loom that covers the coax. I have this on
the
exposed portion of the feedline before it goes underground.

Mark. N2QT