Re: [TowerTalk] RG400 Measured Data

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG400 Measured Data
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 12:58:24 -0700
On 3/16/18 12:33 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Here's measured data for Harbor Industries RG400.

k9yc.com/RG400DataMF-HF.png

Data was obtained by S11 sweeps (1-30 MHz) using VNWA, exporting as S1P files to AC6LA's Zplots spreadsheet for Excel. ZPlots does the math to compute and plot Zo, VF, and attenuation vs frequency, and finds the constants K0, K1, and K2 in the Johnson transmission line model. The lower plot is computed from the raw data, the top two plots come from the model. Zo (nom) and VF (nom) are the values to which the curves are asymptotic at VHF.

These curve shapes are predicted by the wave equations and are typical of virtually all transmission lines.

Interesting data..
So I wonder what truly horrible coax would look like - that is Z vs freq or loss vs freq are generally smooth curves (and, so, well modeled by k0,1,2, etc.)

I wonder if a "figure of merit" for coax could be developed by "deviation from model" - that is, we all know RG-174 has more loss than RG-213 or 1" hardline, but that's mostly a matter of geometry and materials.

But maybe "good" coax has a better fit to the model than "poor" coax - or the plots move around as you move the coax or there's perodic dips and peaks (at an enlarged scale) from a manufacturing roller that has a flat spot, or the cable being stored with a big weight on the spool on one side, or....

The CATV business has measurements and criteria that attempt to characterize shielding effectiveness (not in an idealized modeled sense, but as in "what you measure in a standard test fixture"), and I'm sure there's some way to measure IMD from cable/connectors.

Is there some "doable by a ham with simple test equipment (which today means an inexpensive 1/2 port VNA)" test that can distinguish between "good" and "less good" coax?

Preferably with a one port measurement (so you don't have to have access to the inside of the spool or other end of the cable).