Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??
From: Timothy Coker via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:02:19 +0000 (UTC)
As you’ve done check with your particular insurance. My old tower was indeed
covered under accessory structure which also was 10% of my home’s replacement
value.
Mine was damaged and the adjuster was excellent about working with myself in
documenting the problem. We had Hector, XE2K, do an estimate of exactly what
you have mentioned in your thoughts. We also had a new tower from Tashjian
Towers quoted for replacement value after deeming that replacement was required.
With proper documentation everything was handled professionally and efficiently.
I was subsequently dropped from that insurance company during policy renewal
even after being with them for twelve years without a previous claim.
A local insurance agent spoke to other various underwriters and had two
competing company’s for my business without issue before there was a lapse in
coverage.
Your thinking is valid... my base required a certain model replacement and
that’s what I documented and asked for to keep costs down and not having to
remove the old base which was still structurally sound.
A new crankup from US Tower will cost you a lot considering their current
prices and I’m not surprised that the ARRL’s cap doesn’t work for you as it
wouldn’t have for myself either. It’s expensive to have this done the way an
insurance company wants it done, but at least the work will be done safely and
within code which is their main concern.
I was at first amazed by the estimate that we submitted but having seen the
labor first hand (and the fact that the replacement tower had much thicker wall
diameter’s to meet our ever increasing state codes) it became quite apparent
why it cost more than I thought. Both the tower manufacturer and installer did
their own excellent jobs with demo, haul away, fabrication, permit plans, and
installation.
My advice is to document your talks with your current insurance company through
emails as while the claims process was fine, the underwriter later claimed no
knowledge of my communications with the company via phone calls when I had
permitted and built the structure. The reason for dropping me was that they had
not known of the increased risk due to my tower structure previously, that was
utter BS as I talked to them during planning, building, and after completion.
End of the day they paid out but the dropping portion still bothers me based on
the way they justified dropping me. Not everyone will be honest.
73,
Tim / N6WIN.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone