Re: [TowerTalk] Enhanced OWA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Enhanced OWA
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:34:33 -0700
On 4/20/18 8:59 AM, Brian Beezley wrote:
Is anywhere the information how the bent driver works?

I don't know how it works, Maximo.

I have been using bent elements to design antennas for the 88-108 FM broadcast band for about ten years. Bent elements can really benefit designs that must have good patterns over a 20% bandwidth.

It might be because it's more like a fan or bicone - both of which have wider SWR bandwidth.

One might compare with a tophat loaded slightly short vertical, as far as percentage BW.. I don't have numbers in front of me, and generally "short" relative to wavelength means narrower bandwidth, but in this case, you're talking about "slightly short"

I got the
idea from the original Moxon 2-element Yagi, the one that bends driven element and reflector tips at right angles toward each other. I figured the bends just increased the coupling between the two elements without decreasing the distance between their central high-current regions. So I  experimented with other coupling methods I thought might be easier to construct. A bent driven element is particularly easy since the element usually is already split in the middle and all you need to do is angle the mount on each side. Some builders preserve an existing mount with the element straight in the center and bend it a short distance out with a tubing bender. That seems not to degrade the benefit.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/five.htm

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/ly.htm

Brian